Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version. dismiss

HomeGeneral

Anything related to NetworthShare, finance, investing, etc.

Low Consumption Lifestyle 

Fern

view Fern's Portfolio
2/5/2017
Fern
I haven't had cable for years; I use Roku with Amazon Prime subscription: cost is $99 a year, plus free shipping on anything purchased on Amazon.

When I work (currently unemployed) i bring my lunch to work most days.

For the 1st 19 years I owned my home, I mowed my own lawn. (Now I pay someone to do it once every other week.)

I still shovel my 90-foot-long driveway.

I have a pay as you go Trac phone.

I take advantage of a lot of discounts on my car insurance, and will be dropping collision on my 2013 Honda since I'm not driving anywhere being out of work.

I paid off a 30-year mortgage in 17 years. I have no other debt and have paid cash for my last 2 or 3 cars. (I do buy new and know I shouldn't, All have been Hondas and I keep them for at least 10 years.)
edited by Fern on 2/5/2017
link
lawandinvest2022

view lawandinvest2022's Portfolio
12/18/2015
We have never paid for cable, only netflix and hulu - savings from cable = about $1000/year.
I ride a bike to work - savings $1200 to $2000 / year.
I bring my lunch most days - savings about $1000 / year.
I do my own lawn mowing and house cleaning - savings about $2000 / year.
link
thomasnichols89

view thomasnichols89's Portfolio
8/28/2015
thomasnichols89
A while back we sold our iPhones and bought cheap $20 flip phones. We cut our phone bill from ~200 a month down to 45. Yearly savings of 1860. We use an iPad mini to satiate our app, calendar, and email needs. Took some getting used to but I don't miss it anymore.
link
findependent

view findependent's Portfolio
6/9/2015
findependent
I just decreased my verizon bill by about $90/month by downgrading data plan to 6 GB.

total savings from decreasing Data Package and Cutting Cable (previous post) = $1776 per year

Funny Coincidence -

the year 1776 = independence for America

$1776 = another step toward findependence for us

(On another note, Did you know that you can see how much you have paid verizon from their "view payments" link. I checked mine and since January 2007 I have paid over 20k in cell phone and data service charges to date. Monthly charges add up! Cellular service should be cheaper!)

CHEERS and KEEP SAVING
edited by findependent on 6/9/2015
link
findependent

6/3/2015
findependent
licid9 wrote:
Awesome! We cut the cord in April 2014 and got Hulu for our normal TV shows. Added up to huge TIME savings too (not that we were bad before, but we don't ever veg in front of the TV now).

agreed licid9...

as the saying goes time is money.. in fact I believe time > money..
link
licid9

view licid9's Portfolio
6/2/2015
licid9
Awesome! We cut the cord in April 2014 and got Hulu for our normal TV shows. Added up to huge TIME savings too (not that we were bad before, but we don't ever veg in front of the TV now).
link
findependent

5/30/2015
findependent
thanks for the responses. I agree with y'all. Money is a tool to get me to my dream of being financially independent. kids colleges fully funded and retire early. don't want to take money to the grave butI do want to set my kids up with some seed money for their futures.

My recent attempt to make expense 'lean'... I CUT THE CORD.. cancelled Cable TV and purchased a HD Antenna.
I also signed up for Sling TV ($20) with HBO($15). Total cost savings ~$720/year.
link
syn

view syn's Portfolio
5/29/2015
syn
I own an old Honda Accord, clear coat and paint peeling off, dents in the doors. It gets me from point A to B, I don't care for any more than that. My real passion is astronomy, and all the money I'm saving with the POS car goes into that... though I get odd looks when I pull up in my car and pull out $20k in equipment.

getagrip is right, money is a tool, no point in saving it so you can be buried in it. Understanding your priorities is what is really important, it's what should be driving frugality. I plan to retire extremely early and die without a penny to my name.
link
getagrip

view getagrip's Portfolio
5/8/2015
getagrip
I finally ended up buying a new car this year for the first time in over twenty years for a variety of reasons, to include that we will likely keep it for 10+ years. I think though, that it goes back to need versus wants versus overextending one's self and sacrificing your financial goals. I may have mentioned before about the coworker who bought himself a new Porche but he could both easily afford it, it was what he wanted, and he had all his other financial ducks in a row. So why not. Conversely, I have a coworker who bought a used 13 year old Porche convertable for the same price as a Harley because she wanted something nice to drive on sunny days and for physical reasons couldn't ride a motorcycle any more. Frugality of the sake of frugality doesn't appeal to me. For example, sometime back I read on a blog about some guy who was worth 7 million plus at age 79 giving up going out for dinners, something he stated he and his wife loved to do, because she, at age 80, couldn't drive anymore (he couldn't either) and was giving up her license. I'm thinking, you're nearly 80, you have 7 million in the bank and claim you don't even have to touch it because of your lifestyle being supported by Social Security and pension, you claim your 60 year old kids are finanically independent and don't need your money, and yet here you are giving up on something you enjoy in your life because you don't want to spend a drop in the bucket compared to what you have? Rent a freaking limo once a week for God's sake if you really like going out to eat! Hire the neighbor to drop you off and pick you up! Cripes, hire the chef from your favorite restaurant to come to your house and cook for you an your friends once a month! There are dozens of alternatives that yes, might cost more, but to me, this is being frugal out of habit and not with real thought about value and affordability. Now, all that said, there may have been other reasons and that was the "public" one, fine. But there are ways to achieve your goals. Money is a tool, not the end in itself.
link
licid9

view licid9's Portfolio
5/8/2015
licid9
Love the story man.

After my Infiniti got totaled in 2008 (other person ran the stop sign), my grandmother-in-law gifted me her 1996 Mercury Sable (ugly faded maroon color) as a temp car to get around until I bought another vehicle (she didn't drive anymore). I decided to save the insurance money paid out for my Infinity and drove that Mercury for YEARS! Paid no car payments, insurance was NOTHING for it, I didn't care about small dings from daily driving anymore, and it functioned great mechanically!

One of the best financial decisions of my life, as it put me on a different track mentally about material items at an impressionable segment in my life - I had been working for a few years and was starting to make better money. The four co-workers I hung out with made fun of my car (they all drove luxury cars - used as we were still early in our careers, but none-the-less pricey), but I began paying off my student loans and saving/investing like crazy at that point in my life and now I'm on the journey with you!
edited by licid9 on 5/8/2015
link
findependent

5/5/2015
findependent
Just wanted to throw a provocative comment out there... I still drive the same car that I bought 10 years ago when I started posting on nwIQ. I bought it used for 22k and it only had 6k miles on it. today it has 170k miles on it.

I believe this has been an important part of our journey to findependence. I like nice cars but I like the notion of not having to work for a living even more....wink
link