Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version. dismiss

HomeGeneral

Anything related to NetworthShare, finance, investing, etc.

Bug Report 

njhowie

view njhowie's Portfolio
3/22/2017
njhowie
Thumbs Up
link
admin
Administrator

view admin's Portfolio
3/21/2017
admin
Administrator
njhowie wrote:
https Certificate Expired
time to renew

Our super-fancy auto-renew didn't renew upset
All patched up, sorry about that!
link
njhowie

view njhowie's Portfolio
3/21/2017
njhowie
https Certificate Expired
time to renew
link
admin
Administrator

view admin's Portfolio
8/17/2016
admin
Administrator
njhowie wrote:
Based on the top gainer currently showing, it appears that some sanity checks are required on the info being entered.

There's really nothing to stop a person from creating a completely fake profile and carry on with the lie month after month to stay "on top". It's always been in the back of my mind, but my hope has always been that people have better things to do with their time smile

With that said, I did put mild sanity (read: subjective) filters in place to remove that one out of the Movers & Shakers list. There are other measures we can take to prevent this if needed in the future, but hopefully we won't need those smile
Thanks for keeping an eye on things!
--Chris
link
njhowie

view njhowie's Portfolio
8/16/2016
njhowie
Based on the top gainer currently showing, it appears that some sanity checks are required on the info being entered.
link
admin
Administrator

view admin's Portfolio
7/21/2016
admin
Administrator
mwwh wrote:

Thanks for a fantastic & free app.
I'll keep an eye out for further bugs (and or suggestions) if you're open to input.

We'd love to know of any bugs that exist, and definitely like to hear suggestions for improvements/new features.
Thanks for the help & for using our application!

--Chris
link
mwwh

view mwwh's Portfolio
7/20/2016
mwwh
Excellent. I see you have already fixed the issue too...

Thanks for a fantastic & free app.
I'll keep an eye out for further bugs (and or suggestions) if you're open to input.
link
admin
Administrator

view admin's Portfolio
7/19/2016
admin
Administrator
Hi mwwh - without being able to see the query, your statement makes perfect sense.

Our query is a bit different in that it isn't based off of dates, but rather the most-recent entry's month/year (for a given user). Budfox, when last logged in on 6/9, used the entry date of July 2016 so it's valid that it shows up on the list.

We had to play with the query a bit to end up where we landed.
Take, for example, 3 users logging in on July 15th, 2016.
- Person A may enter "June 2016" as his entry's date (maybe he uses a closing date of 6/30 to track his finances)
- Person B may enter "July 2016" as her entry's date (using a point-in-time recording method)
- Person C might use "August 2016" because he/she can see into the future smile Very few people future-date their entries, but there are some.

So, the short of it is, we look at entries that are tagged with this month's entry (201607), as well as one month back, and one month forward.

I won't let you down though - you did find a bug smile
When the calculation occurs for a user, it should only calculate month-to-month gains/losses. Budfox's $220k gain was calculated using the May-->July entry. (He/she didn't enter an entry for June)
Therefore, it's possible for a person to track his/her net worth once a year, and show gigantic gains, placing him/her consistently at the top of the list.

We'll fix it. Keep hunting!
Thanks,
Chris
link
mwwh

view mwwh's Portfolio
7/17/2016
mwwh
If the lookback is 30/31 days and he hasn't logged in since 6/9 then mathematically it should be someone different at the top of the list.

I hunt code bugs for a living. I just figured I found one here. I may be wrong since I don't know your reqs, but I don't think I am.

Cheers
link
admin
Administrator

view admin's Portfolio
7/15/2016
admin
Administrator
I see budfox at the top of the list right now...are you thinking it should be something different?

(I apologize, I'm on a mobile device, so I can't check the query at the moment. I'll take a look as soon as I'm back at a PC)
link
mwwh

view mwwh's Portfolio
7/15/2016
mwwh
The query (SQL?) to build the front page (movers & shakers) has a bug in it.
The look back is 30/31 days but it consistently misses the top name on the list (currently budfox). Note the last login date is longer than 30 days.
It appears a greater than is being used in the query instead of greater than or equals.
link