Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version. dismiss

HomeGeneral

Anything related to NetworthShare, finance, investing, etc.

What was harder? 

JC

view JC's Portfolio
3/21/2017
JC
Same here. I had little financial sense before meeting my wife in college. Spent every penny that I earned during college. Luckily, we had both been working since we were kids and did have some money to spend. Neither of us graduated with much debt, only her modest student loan.

Once we got engaged and decided that we needed to find our own place, we started seriously putting away money. That habit has stuck ever since. But, we were never fully able to get rid of our love for new cars. Always had at least one nice car to drive. Thankfully, we are frugal in all other ways.

Hardest part, the part that took longest, was the first million.
edited by JC on 3/21/2017
link
M543

view M543's Portfolio
3/17/2017
M543
Question to those of you who are knocking down milestones, what was harder for you? Starting to develop wealth accumulating habits or maintaining them?
For me it got easy once I got engaged to my wife. Up to that point, I'd been treading water, still wallowing in car debt, student loans and credit card debt. Even had a (no interest) loan for some furniture. She was in the same boat, except without the student loan debt.
Once we got engaged, we put our heads (and our income) together to plan for our wedding and the habits we built together then have carried us forward. Once we got married, the debt quickly disappeared and the retirement accounts started to fill up. And we decided together to increase our lifestyle slower than we increased our income. 19 years and $2M in net worth later, things are pretty much on autopilot.
link