Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version. dismiss

HomeGeneral

Anything related to NetworthShare, finance, investing, etc.

Heirlooms and garage sale finds. Would you sell? 

JC

view JC's Portfolio
6/25/2018
JC
I'm not the sentimental type, and we keep a minimalist home. So, any unused items worth any money get sold on Craigslist etc. Get the crap and clutter out of the house! Lol. Esp if it's worth a ton of money. That item would be out of the house so fast...
link
getagrip

view getagrip's Portfolio
6/21/2018
getagrip
I think many of us have seen those Antiques Road Show moments where someone has something they picked up as a lark or found in a dumpster or got it cheap at a yard sale or inherited and they find it's worth a bunch of money. I had my own experience with Magic the Gathering Cards having recently rediscovered my lightly played original decks while doing a bit of clutter clearing. After checking I found that a number sold on eBay and at card distributor sites for a pretty penny. So after about a year or so of toying with trying to maximize profit and selling them individually and even being told they weren't worth anything by someone who said they'd just take them off my hands, I finally just sold them to a site and made significantly more than I ever paid for them.

Now, deciding to sell the cards was easy, I didn't play, have no interest in playing in the future, and so selling them for whatever profit I could seemed a no brainer. I also wasn't in a rush to sell so I could take my time and explore my options. But that got me thinking how others reacted when having to sell things they find are of value. I see all these folks on the Antiques Road show who claim they never will sell something and will keep it in the family or pass it down now that they own it. So I've got to wonder if that's really true, because as someone living a middle class lifestyle if I found I had a painting worth more than my house, I think that thing would be in danger of bursting into flames from the air friction as I rushed it to auction. I might be less inclined to do that with something smaller like jewelry, but even then the idea of having something of such value, I'd be worried about it all the time and it would likely end up always being in a safety deposit box or squirreled away, and I guess I just don't want to be that concerned about "stuff". I mean, right now if my home went up in flames, I'd be more upset about losing all the pictures and memories than any single item (one reason I am scanning all my old photos to other media and storing in the safety deposit box). Then again if I had true heirloom items in our family, I could see passing those down and wanting to keep them, but I never want to pass along an unrealistic burden to my kids either. For example I have a friend who has a least a dozen pieces of solid, really well made, antique furniture (all of it big) he wants to pass down to his kids and none of them want anything to do with those pieces, even one kid who just purchased a new home took only a few items from their old room. Meanwhile the market for such furniture sucks right now, so it's not worth selling and is just sitting in his basement and will likely be sold off for pennies on the dollar when he passes.

So I was just wondering how other folks feel about these kinds of finds and heirlooms. Do you have something that was passed to you that feels more burden than heirloom? Would you sell it if you had to or even if an opportunity came up (like maybe to a museum or to someone who really wanted it)? If you discovered something you had was worth a lot of money, would you cash in and strike while the iron was hot or hold out hoping it went up in value?
link